A Manifesto: Discovering your Passion

I used to be a gymnast. For about half my life I spent it as a gymnast. Whenever someone would ask me what I did, I would say gymnastics. It was my passion, my sport, and pretty much my life. However, when I left gymnastics, I was at a loss for what my hobby or passion was. Frankly, I was very confused and lost. I could no longer say gymnastics, and for a pretty long time, I wasn’t quite sure what I should do.


My love of cooking has developed over time. As a child, I would love to watch my dad cook dinner or help my mom bake cookies. It’s a journey when it comes to discovering or embracing a passion, but I’ve found a couple of ideas to keep in mind.  
  • Be patient; your passion may take time to develop
  • Be open to change; your passion may change
  • Don’t mind what other people think (cliche, but it’s true; the best thing I did was to change my mind from focusing on others people’s thoughts to what I wanted to do)
  • Improvement; I love cooking because as my passion I desire the continual progress and improvement and fortunately cooking produces very immediate results
  • Have fun; a passion is all about discovering what you like, if it’s no longer fun, move on, you’ll find a new passion
  • Try new things; it’s how you can discover another new passion!!
In the end, discovering your passion is very much a journey of self-discovery. It’s all about finding what sparks the inner flame and excitement. Cooking is something that I just love, I can’t explain why, at least not in this post, but your passion is about what makes you happy. So find something that makes you happy and of course, I'll end with a cliche but so true saying "Just be yourself".

What are your passions? How did you discover them??

Emmy xox

Comments

  1. I can relate to the loss that you felt when giving up your passion in gymnastics. I had to undergo a similar process for basketball last year as well. However, I'm still struggling to find a passion that can replace the one lost. While I am interested in jazz and chess, neither of them can quite rival the same fire that I felt for basketball. Maybe it's because I haven't invested enough time into either of them yet. I'm glad that you were able to find yours.
    P.S. Were you the one that took those pictures of food used in your blog?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts