Saturday, April 9, 2011

Vegan Date Shake Deliciousness

During my recent trip to Palm Springs I discovered the deliciousness that is a date shake. Date shakes are all the rage in that area, but most are made with vanilla ice cream and fresh dates or "date crystals" (whatever that is). Unfortunately, my stomach doesn't appreciate ice cream-based milkshakes, so I was very excited when I found a vegan date shake at the Palm Greens Cafe. If you are ever in Palm Springs and in the mood for some seriously delicious, healthy food, this little cafe is must visit.

The vegan date shake that I ordered from Palm Greens absolutely rocked my world and I came home determined to make my own. Their shake consisted of frozen banana, cashew milk and fresh dates with a chocolate syrup. I didn't have any chocolate syrup or cashew milk on hand this morning, so my recipe is a little different, but it was a major success and kept me going through dance class. This recipe will definitely be a staple breakfast food for me this summer.

Ignore the agave nectar in the photo! This shake is sweet enough without any added sugar.


Vegan Date Shake (serves 1)
3 pitted Medjool dates
1/3 cup vanilla soy milk
1/8 cup raw cashews
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 frozen banana (just peel a fresh banana, wrap in plastic wrap and put in a gallon freezer bag to have on hand for smoothies and shakes)

Place the dates, soy milk, cashews, vanilla and cinnamon in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth (there will be pieces of date skin visible, but there shouldn't be any large chunks). Add the frozen banana and blend again until smooth and thick. Add a little more milk if necessary to get a drinkable consistency.


Dates are probably not a great choice for anyone with blood sugar control issues because they are very high in sugar. Dates are also, however, very high in calcium, magnesium, potassium and fiber. It has also been said that dates contain more antioxidants than any other dried or fresh fruit (based on the TE score of 6600).

When was the last time you had a date?

0 comments:

 
Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates